LUCKNOW: A day after Kalyan Singh demitted office as governor of Rajasthan, the CBI on Monday moved an application before the special CBI court in Lucknow seeking to summon him as an accused to face trial along with others for allegedly conspiring to demolish the Babri mosque in Ayodhya on December 6, 1992.
The investigating agency had been waiting for Kalyan Singh to demit office as governor of Rajasthan, which he did on Sunday at the end of his term, in view of the constitutional immunity from prosecution granted to governors.
The CBI special court is conducting the trial and the other accused include former deputy PM L K Advani, Murli Manohar Joshi and Uma Bharati.
The court took up the application and inquired from the CBI, for the record, whether Singh no longer held the constitutional post of governor. Since the trial is being conducted on a day-to-day basis, the CBI application may be taken up on September 11. The CBI pleaded that Singh was chargesheeted in 1993. It said that the Supreme Court, in its order of April 19, 2017, had said that Singh, who was Uttar Pradesh CM when the Babri masjid was demolished in 1992, could not be brought in as an accused to face trial in view of the constitutional immunity granted to governors under Article 361 of the Constitution. The SC had, however, allowed the CBI to move to summon him as an accused as soon as he ceased to be a governor.
All the accused are on bail. The CBI had filed a chargesheet against the accused, including Singh, in 1993. Singh became governor on September 3, 2014, for a five-year term, which is now complete.